Welcome to Heath Lane Surgery Patient Participation Group
Heath Lane Surgery provides medical services for the communities of Earl Shilton, Barwell, and certain surrounding areas. We have 14,600 patients.
Our Patient Participation Group (PPG) aims to ensure that the Practice puts the patient, and improving health, at the heart of everything it does. Interested patients are encouraged to:
- advise on issues which relate to the Practice;
- be a ‘critical friend’ to the Practice;
- work in partnership with both patients and health professionals to promote the health and wellbeing of patients;
- encourage patients to take appropriate responsibility for their health;
- support the practice in providing a high quality of care and service delivery;
- share issues raised by the wider patient community to ensure that services are constantly evolving and improving.
See our Terms of Reference document for more information on our PPG.
Currently our PPG has 15 volunteer members. We attempt to reflect our local population with members of different genders, ethnicities, ages, abilities, experience and interests; equality is important to us. We are keen to recruit new members, particularly those from under-represented groups: young people (over 16); and those of an ethnic minority. Membership is open to all registered patients and their carers. One of our Doctors and our Practice Manager are centrally involved in all PPG activities; other medical professionals and Practice staff provide ideas, input, and responses. We are a cohesive team.
By being a member of the PPG you could benefit by:
- Making a valued contribution to and involvement in our local community;
- Participation in shared decision making;
- Taking the opportunity to use and improve inter-personal and other skills;
- Through our projects, encouraging fellow patients towards healthy life choices;
- Gaining useful experience for those aiming for a career in health or social care.
Meetings are held every other month on a Thursday evening and last for around 90 minutes. Additional involvement is optional; there are many opportunities to take on more active roles and/or to lead on health-related projects. For specialist information and advice we often invite outside speakers to our meetings. We also work closely with other local Practices to provide ‘Public Information’ and ‘Condition Support’ sessions.
Next PPG meeting: Thursday 29th March 2018 at 6:30pm
We understand that some patients who may wish to contribute don’t have time or inclination to attend meetings. To promote inclusion we are developing a Virtual PPG through which patients may provide feedback, raise key issues, make suggestions, and, if they wish, become involved in projects.
To contact us:
Ask for a PPG Contact Form at Reception, or:
Download a sign-up form, complete it and send to the Practice or hand in at Reception.
Someone from the PPG will contact you within 10 working days.
Download the pdf version of our sign up form
PPG Contact Form